Mechanical engineering is a diverse branch of engineering which deals with design and building everything from small individual parts and accessories to its width and is derived from the need (for example, sensors and micro-level inkjet printer nozzles) to large systems (for example, space vehicle and machine tools).
Mechanical engineering branch gives enormous ideas to the market about the products and their working. It provides special skills and knowledge to a person who will certainly become a complete mechanical engineer in order to accomplish the ever changing demands of this developing world.
Since these skills are essential to almost everything that is made, mechanical engineering is perhaps the broadest and most diverse engineering disciplines. It plays an important central role in industries such as automotive (car chassis each subsystem, its engine, transmission, sensors play); Aerospace (aircraft, aircraft engines, avionics and control systems for spacecraft); Biotechnology (implants, prosthetic devices, fluidic systems for the pharmaceutical industry); Computer and Electronics (disk drives, printers, cooling systems, semiconductor equipment); Micro-electromechanical systems, or MEMS (sensors, actuators, micro-power generation); Energy Conversion (gas turbines, wind turbines, solar energy, fuel cells); Environmental control (HVAC, air conditioning, refrigeration, compressors); Automation (robots, data and image acquisition, identification, control); Manufacturing (machining, machine tools, prototyping, micro-fabrication); and many more.
Following few are some of the genuine reasons to choose Mechanical Engineering:-
- Become an inventor: Mechanical engineers are in high demand for developing and testing new products and systems – this could be anything from the latest television or kitchen appliance to a new car or a whole assembly line system. You could even be involved in developing new materials, for use in a range of industries.
- Make the World a Greener Place: For those interested in environmental sustainability, mechanical engineering offers lots of scope to make a difference – from helping to design more fuel-efficient vehicles, to working on systems for generating energy from renewable sources.
- Develop Medical Technologies: The biotechnology sector also needs lots of creative minds with a background in mechanical engineering. Here, you could be involved in helping to design artificial body parts, surgical technologies, and all kinds of equipment used in diagnosing and treating illnesses.
- Help to make things fly: The aerospace industry needs lots of mechanical engineers. Roles include research, design and development, safety control and testing – and you may be interested to know many astronauts also start out by studying mechanical engineering.
- Keep society running: Mechanical engineers play critical roles behind the scenes of many of the most essential systems in modern society – including transport, water, power and communications systems. Here again, roles are available in the field of research and development stage to construction, testing, operations management and maintenance.
Vision of the Department
To produce future Engineers who will be recognized globally by their skills and innovations. Department will also work for producing engineers who can cater the changing market scenario and social needs as per requirement.
Mission of the Department
1. To provide quality education so that we can enhance their skill set in this competitive world.
2. To provide good Practical exposure so that they can better understand the basic principles of engineering.
3. To develop R&D facilities in the department so department can work, analyze and apply the recent technologies for betterment of technical knowledge and student welfare.
4. To provide the students with academic environment of excellence, leadership, ethical guidelines and lifelong learning needed for a long productive career.
Awaiting Opportunities for you:
Mechanical engineering graduates are sought by employers in almost all sectors of the engineering industry. Few of these include:
- Aerospace industry – researches, designs, manufactures, operations and maintenance
- Automotive industry – designs, manufactures, distributors and markets motor vehicles
- Chemical industry – covers oil companies, chemicals manufacturers and the businesses that support them (e.g. to build new plants or develop new process technologies)
- Construction industry – designs and builds infrastructure, buildings and buildings services (e.g. heating and ventilation)
- Defence industry – provides equipment, support and services for the armed forces and national security
- Electronics industry – designs and manufactures components and complete equipments for sectors from automotive to medicine and the military
- Fast moving consumer goods industry – manufactures products such as household cleaning items, personal hygiene goods and convenience foods
- Marine industry – develops and helps operate vessels
- Materials and metals industry – activities include developing new materials and manufacturing components or end products
- Pharmaceuticals industry – develops and manufactures drugs
- Rail industry – designs, constructs, manages and maintains rail system components from trains and tracks to electrical power systems and train control systems
- Utilities industry – helps supply power, water, waste management and telecoms.
Mechanical engineers typically perform & execute the following:
- Analyze problems to see how mechanical and thermal devices might help solve a particular problem
- Design or redesign mechanical and thermal devices or subsystems, using analysis and computer-aided design
- Develop and test prototypes of devices they design
- Analyze the test results and change the design or system as needed
- Oversee the manufacturing process for the device
- Mechanical engineers design and oversee the manufacture of many products ranging from medical devices to new batteries.
- Mechanical engineers design power-producing machines, such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines, as well as power-using machines, such as refrigeration and air-conditioning systems.
- Mechanical engineers design other machines inside buildings, such as elevators and escalators. They also design material-handling systems, such as conveyor systems and automated transfer stations & lot many more....