Civil engineering is a "people serving profession". Civil engineering deals with the planning, design, construction, operation, maintenance and research of fixed structures and infrastructures such as buildings, highways, bridges, railroads, tunnels, dams and airports.
What lured about this profession was the fact that it is improving the lives of people. By continuously developing and upgrading the services and facilities of the public, it not only gives the Engineer a sense of responsibility towards humanity but brings forth a sense of satisfaction that the work carried out by the Civil Engineer contributes significantly to the wellbeing of the society. Civil Engineers are an integral part of society, without them, we would have no roads, airports, buildings, dams, harbours etc.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The vision of the Department of Civil Engineering is to achieve excellence by development of knowledge resources and producing highly competent Civil graduates in various fields of Civil Engineering to meet local, industrial and national economic and social needs.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To develop knowledge resources and to educate and train youths in the latest technologies in Civil Engineering
- To inspire youths to become responsible citizens and competent professionals with high ethical values in tackling diverse problems in the field of Civil Engineering
- To meet the expectations of technical human resource at national and international level
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
||A graduate should be able to give technical & engineering solution for civil engineering problems using knowledge of science, mathematics etc.
||The civil engineering graduate should be able to use operation research and applied mathematics in finding solution and analysis of Engineering problems.
||Passing out civil engineer should be able to design building structure, roads, sewage and water supply network and other component of infrastructure system considering environmental, safety and social aspects.
||A civil engineer should be able to use latest research technological tool and analyze large engineering data for providing solution of engineering problems.
||A graduate should be able to use latest technology, software like GIS, STAAD etc. to solve complex engineering activities.
||The engineer should inculcate the knowledge regarding social, health, legal and cultural issues required for professional engineering skills.
||The engineer should be able to provide environmental friendly and sustainable infrastructure development.
||A graduate engineer during his course of study should inbuilt social ethics and professionalism and should apply them in his career.
||A graduate should inherit leadership qualities whenever working in a group while handling multi disciplinary engineering projects.
||A graduate engineer should be able to compile detailed project report and give technical presentations acquiring good communication skills during course of study.
||Graduate should be able to handle civil engineering projects involving multidisciplinary aspects/ streams including its financial cost estimation etc.
||Graduate should have aptitude for learning new innovative technologies in civil engineering.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
PSO 1: Improving the employability skills by making the students capable of qualifying competitive examinations
PSO 2: Inculcating technical competencies in students to deal with practical aspects of civil engineering.
PSO 3: Cognizance of social awareness and environmental necessity along with ethical responsibility to have a successful career and to become an entrepreneur.
“Scientist study the world as it is, Civil engineers create the world that has never been”.
Following are the some genuine reasons to choose civil engineering as a career -
- Became a creator - It is popularly said that “After the god, Civil engineer is the creator”. Civil engineers are in high demand for designing various structures which one can only dream. One can also be involved in actual construction of the structure referring the design of it.
- Improving the quality of life – The civil engineer is one who can improve the mankind’s quality of life. Civil engineers can serve competently, collaboratively, and ethically entrusted by society to create a sustainable world and enhance the global quality of life.
- Stewards of the environment – One will introduce new technology, techniques, and financial methods for sustainable planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance. You will routinely encourage owners to adopt new, sustainable approaches to the built and natural environment.
- Innovators and Integrators of technology – One will define the strategic research direction for leading-edge infrastructure and environmental technologies and promote faster application of new approaches.
- Managers of Risk - One will gain mastery in assessing and managing risk and forge new tactics for reducing the incidence and effects of natural and man-made disasters.
- Leaders in public policy - One will greatly expand your role as public policy leaders for broad-based policy discussions and serve as opportunity finders as well as problem solvers.
Being an evergreen branch civil engineering graduates has ample of opportunities, some of them are listed below which has been specialized in several sector -
- CONSTRUCTION SECTOR - Manage construction projects and ensure that they are scheduled and built in accordance with plans and specifications.
- GEOTECHNICAL SECTOR - Their prime concern is related with the properties of soil and the foundation of the structure. In addition, they design and plan for slopes, retaining walls, and tunnels.
- STRUCTURAL SECTOR - Design and assess major projects, such as buildings, bridges, or dams, to ensure their strength and durability.
- TRANSPORTATION SECTOR - Plan, design, operate, and maintain everyday systems, such as streets, highways, airports or canal.
- MARITIME SECTOR – Construction related to ports, harbours and sea defences.
- RESEARCH AND TEACHING PROFESSION - One can also pursue masters degree in any specialization and can enhance their career in research or teaching profession.
As now a day, government jobs are highly in demand. So being a civil engineer one have a lot of opportunities to be selected in this sector. Some of them are listed below –
- STATE ENGINEERING SERVICES (as a Assistant engineer)
- UPSC ENGINEERING SERVICES EXAMINATION(As a Asssistant engineer)
- DEFENSE SERVICES(In Milatary engineering services. Mainly providing mobility to own forces by construction bridges, tunnels, helipads etc.)
- PUBLIC SECTOR UNITS (such as ISRO,BPCL, HPCL,DRDO,NABARD etc.)
FACE, Federal Association of Civil Engineering.
This is an association which was reformed in 2019 and are continuously organizing events under it. FACE is an association which is managed by students of department of civil engineering. Following events has been organised till date:
- Bhule Bisre Khel
- Varnit Chalchitra
And many more events....